MY LIFE Mission
The MY LIFE Club fosters an environment that empowers young women to embrace their strengths, make safe and healthy decisions in their lives, and create positive change in their communities.
The curriculum addresses three main objectives:
- Decrease risk factors that contribute to sexual violence and gender oppression
- Promote protective factors that support healthy adolescent development and future success
- Build skills and experience mobilizing positive change and supporting a beloved community
How do we do this?
Monterey County Rape Crisis Center (MCRCC) has established clubs for young women at several High Schools in Monterey County. Club sessions are held once a week throughout the school year during lunch or after school. The topics discussed during club sessions cover a wide array of issues that support students' in learning to:
- Recognize attitudes and behaviors that perpetuate the cycle of sexual violence
- Critically examine media messages and recognize the influence these messages have on our perceptions of self and others
- Increase self-esteem and self confidence through activities that highlight strengths and build upon personal potential
- Apply healthy communication strategies and boundaries in various situations
- Identify allies and facilitate positive change within their community
In addition to weekly club meetings, students also organize awareness-raising activities on their school campuses and participate in community events. During the 2010-2011 school year they hosted multiple activities that highlighted the prevalence of sexual violence in our community and encouraged action from their peers. They also supported their local community through volunteer work, which included hosting the “Why Ending Sexual Violence Matters to Me” project at MCRCC’s “Together with Love” walk/run.
Currently, you can find My LIFE clubs at Salinas High School, Gonzales High School, North Monterey County, Everett Alvarez High School, Pacific Grove High School along with Marina High School.
For more information on MY LIFE club contact Tarah Fischer at (831) 373-3955, firstname.lastname@example.org.