Be part of the movement to end sexual violence and join our team of Sexual Assault Counselors making a difference in the community. Volunteers will be trained to answer the 24-hour crisis line, accompany survivors of sexual assault to forensic exams, learn about community resources that assist those who are in crisis, and participate in community events to raise awareness about our mission. Together we can offer healing to those who need it and truly begin to make the changes we know are possible.
Eligibility and Commitment:
- Applicants must be over the age of 18 years of age.
- Applicants must have an interest in assisting sexual assault survivors and significant others.
- Applicants must be willing/able to work with diverse populations (cultural, racial, socioeconomic, religious, sexual orientation, etc.)
- Applicants must give consent for and understand that MCRCC will require Livescan fingerprinting.
- Applicants must be able to attend all training sessions.
- Applicants must be able to attend monthly in-service meetings (typically the 1st Tuesday of the month).
- Applicants must commit to 6 months of volunteering.
- Applicants must commit to covering 2 shifts per month. Available shifts are typically nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Past or present perpetrators of sexual or physical abuse and / or any violent crime are not eligible to participate in Sexual Assault Counselor Training.
- Applicants with a history of chemical dependency must have been clean and sober for at least 1 year prior to training.
- Sexual assault survivors must be emotionally ready to assist other survivors and be no less than a year past their own assault / abuse experience.
MCRCC reserves the right to refuse enrollment to anyone whom they feel is not suitable for the program. Participation in training does not guarantee certification as a Sexual Assault Counselor, nor does it guarantee a volunteer assignment.
Click here to apply online.
Completion of the application and an interview are required. Any scheduled conflicts for training sessions must be discussed with the Client Services Manager prior to beginning the training.
For more information contact Amber Wasson in Monterey at (831) 373-3955 or Martamaria Rosado in Salinas at (831) 771-0411.